Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Tonbridge Angels


Under 13s - Match centre

Phoenix Sports
Tonbridge Angels
Sun 8 Jan 15:00 - Cup Full time

U13s through to semi-finals of Kent Cup

Another fine team performance from our youngsters

The under 13s travelled to Dartford to play Phoenix Sports in their quarter final Kent Cup game. The opening 10 minutes were very closely contested Phoenix kept the ball better than Angels but in areas that were not going to cause Angels any concerns. Having lost 2-1 in the league to Phoenix earlier in the season Angels knew they were very dangerous on the break and had shuffled the defence to compensate Jack Balcombe coming into partner Toby Kent at centre back, Chester Smith dropping in at right back and Kian Austin at left back. The Angels back four were very quick and the Phoenix team struggled to get in behind them without any real physical presence. Howie and Tyrie were starting to win the midfield battle and the first real chance was a free kick for Angels 30 yards out, Lansdowne stepped up and hit a beautiful sweet footed effort that dipped under the bar. Angels continued to press Billy Kent and George Walker working tirelessly to stop Phoenix playing the ball from defence but the ball didn’t seem to be falling for Angels and the hosts continually looking to play balls inside the full backs. A mix up between Smith and O’Grady resulted in the Phoenix equaliser, Smith unluckily getting a slight touch trying to shield the ball back and O’Grady being unable to pick the ball up and the Phoenix striker seizing on the opportunity to tap home.

Angels however responded immediately Joe Tyrie winning the ball and wriggling past two players and hitting a great shot which the keeper parried and there was George Walker following in to fire home. Angels were now buoyed and a series of corners from Kian Austin resulted in the powerful David Howie firing home to put Angels 3-1 up at half time. A couple of changes made at half time Dan Wates coming on for Lansdowne and Joe Rowe slotting back into defence for Smith. The hosts changing formation and going much more on the attack. However Angels completely dominated the first 20 minutes Walker and Billy Kent not allowing the Phoenix team to get out of their half. but Angels were unable to get the all-important fourth goal. Hermitage and Austin continued to keep the left side solid and Rowe strong down the right side.

A rare Phoenix break resulting in the ball being dragged wide of the post emphasised the game was not over. The fourth goal finally came following some magnificent work from Billy Kent chasing down defender and goal keeper resulting in the defending crouching over the ball to obstruct Kent tapping home. An indirect free kick 10 yards out, Tyrie rolled his studs over the ball and Lansdowne smashed home. More chances fell for Angels, Walker robbing the defence several times squaring for Nat Gibbs and Dan Wates who were both unlucky not to get on the score sheet. The hosts never gave up and a late rally created several chances but Toby Kent, Jack Balcombe, Kian Austin, Joe Rowe and Luke O’Grady were magnificent in defence, Alex Raffelt had come on to protect the defence and Phoenix were unable to add to their first half goal.

The fifth Angels goal was the best of the game, Chester Smith now playing further forward picked up the ball and glided past two players to hit an unstoppable shot into the top corner. It was a fitting finish to a fine Angels team performance.

Angels will now face Ashford, Folkestone or Thames view in the semi-finals of the Kent Cup. Next week Angels need to catch up on League games and face run away leaders Ebbs fleet away.

Report from Todd Tyrie

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments


Club sponsors