Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Tonbridge Angels app


Under 18s - Match centre

Tonbridge Angels
Sun 8 Jul 11:00 - Friendly Full time

Angels Under-18s take encouragement from defeat


After an absence of a year, Tonbridge returned to action at Under-18 level.

Tonbridge Angels return to action after a year’s absence at Under-18 level brought much encouragement despite a 6-3 defeat to Whyteleafe on an oppressively hot Sunday morning at Mascalls School, Paddock Wood.

Manager Jamie Wolvey was satisfied that at periods in the game his side, who had fielded two Under-16s in Charlie Bowles and Ollie Harrison, had matched a Whyteleafe side that were physically bigger and stronger.

With concerns about the heat to the forefront the game was split into three periods of 30 minutes.

With this being Tonbridge’s first game together as a team they struggled in the opening stages against their visitors who had a great deal of understanding of their roles in the team. They took the lead after nine minutes when Nathan Palmer converted a cross from the right.

The goal sparked a period of dominance for the Surrey side with chances coming at regular intervals but the score was not added to by a combination of wastefulness and some stout defending including a fine double save from the Tonbridge goalkeeper, Tommy Sceal.

So it was somewhat against the run of play that Tonbridge equalised at the end of the first period. The ball was pulled the ball back from the bye-line for David Brooks to fire into the bottom corner.

Whyteleafe resumed their overall command of the game and regained their lead after 32 minutes when Bradley Williams shot into the bottom corner from the left hand angle of the penalty area.

Sceal did well to turn a shot onto the underside of the bar before the home side equalised with a good move that saw the ball passed along the 18 yard line before reaching Bowles who curled a shot into the far corner.

Unfortunately parity did not last long and three goals in seven minutes from Ibrahim Adejbite (2) and Palmer saw Whyteleafe into the second break with a 5-2 lead.

The heat told on both sides in the final period and it was two minutes before the end when Jake Freeman collected a good pass to give the scoreline respectability at 5-3. However, it was not to be the last act with Ryan Penton completing the scoring for the visitors.

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors