Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Tonbridge Angels app


Under 14s - Match centre

Tonbridge Angels
Danson Sports
Sun 8 Oct 11:00 - League Full time

Important win for U14s against improving Danson Sports


All round excellent team perfomance

U14s grind out 3-1 Win

Report from Todd Tyrie

Angels faced Danson Sports from Dartford on Sunday having played them in the opening game of the season away. The Angels knew they were in for a tough game, Danson have improved considerably since last season and are a club going from strength to strength.

Danson had a considerable size advantage and dominated the early possession. The Angels defence of Austin, Smith, Balcombe and Murphy knew they had to be at the top of their game and did not disappoint. Danson had real pace down both flanks, particularly their left and Angels right back Chester Smith was called into action several times early on, Angels having to double up on the left winger to stop him getting in behind. The one time Danson did get in and round Gibb in goal there was Murphy getting back to clear off the line to the agony of Danson.

Gibb was brilliant in early distribution from goal kicks, Angels knew anything played up the middle would be dominated by Danson and Gibb constantly got the ball out to the defence, Austin getting lots of the ball down the left and in turn finding Hermitage in acres of space. The midfield of Tyrie and Wilkins worked intelligently knowing they could not compete in the air picking up the second balls and holding up the Danson midfield. Toby Kent and Hermitage had been told to stretch the pitch and did exactly that. The front two of Lansdowne and Billy Kent worked as pair when closing down, as did the midfield closing down in pairs when they had the chance.

Danson had won several corners and the Angels defence was holding out but it felt like only a matter of time before Danson got joy if they got the delivery right. Angels tried to avoid giving away set pieces and corners. and good work down the right between the Kent's led to Angels first corner. Lansdowne turned in the corner and it was initially cleared getting back out to Lansdowne who whipped in a great first time delivery and there was Hermitage to force home. Angels continued to look threatening down the left some good balls down the flanks from Hermitage to Lansdowne led to a couple of half chances and Billy Kent always looked a threat up top never allowing the Danson defence to settle.

With a minute left before half time Angels looked like coming in 1-0 but Toby Kent chased what looked like a loss cause and won an unbelievable challenge keeping the ball in play feeding Billy Kent superbly who looked up and released a lovely timed ball to Lansdowne who didn't need to take a touch and finished superbly poking the ball round the keeper. It was the key turning point in the game down to the desire of Toby Kent and taking a heavy challenge to keep the ball alive but Angels came in 2-0 up with vital breathing space.

Angels knew if they could ride out the first 10 minutes without conceding they would be in with a good chance of winning the game. Raffelt and Wates coming on at half time and Wates being asked to make play very wide. Danson as suspected came out all guns blazing Wilkins and Tyrie doing a lot of defensive work trying to protect the back four, Murphy and Balcombe winning some great challenges. Kent continued to give the Danson defence a torrid time chasing every ball in behind and Lansdowne was finding good pockets of space.

Then a fantastic piece of skill from Wilkins a Maradona turn allowed him to slip two players and then crash a trade mark shot off the cross bar. It was a fantastic game end to end Danson causing all kinds of problems down our right side with their pace but Angels continued to try and get the ball out to Wates and Hemritage whenever they could. Smith had come back on into midfield to pick up the huge Danson number 19 and stuck to him like a rash. Then another key moment Billy Kent latched onto a ball into the right corner somehow holding off two challenges laying the ball back to Wates who delivered a great cross into the box and there was that man Hermitage again, text book heading the ball back from where it came from into the far corner. Angels were now 3 up... but Danson were now throwing everything at the Angels and finally made the breakthrough down that right, Balcombe getting injured in the process and needing treatment before coming off.  The score now 3-1 and with 12 minutes of normal time and several minutes of injury time to be added Angels knew the game wasn't over. Smith's pace was needed to try and stem the flow down our right Tyrie came back on into the back four for Balcombe and Raffelt pushed into midfield.

Angels gave everything for that last 15 minutes Austin, Murphy, Tyrie and Smith winning a number of great tackles and Gibb claiming a couple of great crosses, Austin and Hermitage giving us the outlet as always and Wates down the right. Wilkins and Raffelt holding the middle and the desire epitomised by Kent dropping back into the midfield and winning a couple of great challenges. It was a huge team performance holding out to win 3-1 against a top side.

Team - Gibb, Smith, Murphy, Balcombe, Austin, Hermitage, Tyrie, Wilkins, T Kent, B Kent, Lansdowne, Wates, Raffelt

Next week the team are at home to Kings Hill 11am KO

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors