Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Tonbridge Angels app


Under 15s - Match centre

Kennington Juniors
Tonbridge Angels
Sun 27 Jan 11:00 - Cup Full time

Last minute winner sends U15s out of Kent Cup


Kennington snatch it at the death

Angels made the trip down to Kennington for their quarter final Kent Cup game on Sunday. Angels still missing Howie and Hermitage through injury were also dealt a blow with Hazelwood picking up an injury on the Friday and having to withdraw. Luckily both Wilkins and Balcombe passed fitness tests and were able to start. Angels started very brightly having been forced to try and change formation with goals struggling to come by in recent weeks, Nwanosike had been pushed further forward and when he opened the scoring after 5 minutes following a defensive mix up Angels were buzzing and were completely dominating possession. Lawrence was defending from the front and forcing Kennington to go long and the defence of Austin, Balcombe, Murphy and Smith were winning everything. The midfield of Toby Kent, Tyrie and Wilkins were keeping possession nicely and Angels looked very comfortable.

Nwanosike and Lansdowne were looking very dangerous down the flanks and Angels continued to create chances some good balls into the box from Nwanosike saw Lawrence go close and Lansdowne was starting to get behind his man and get shots off. Wilkins, Tyrie and Kent continued to control the midfield and Angels got the second when Kent sent Lansdowne away to finish superbly. Angels had completely dominated the first half with Kennington really only looking a threat from a corner but just behalf half time Murphy headed a throw onto the top of his shoulder and the referee pointed immediately to the spot, it was a bitter blow and a surprise lifeline for the hosts.

Second half and Angels made one change but the Kennington side were a completely different proposition, changing formation and dominating the early possession. Angels tried to shuffle to get a foot hold back in the game, Exall coming on and Angels going back to four four two. Kennington continued to dominate possession but struggled to create anything clear cut, then what looked like a clear foul on Exall led to Kennington breaking down the right and a second equalising goal for Kennington. Angels dug in and were still looking dangerous on the break Wilkins worked his socks off in the middle and Lansdowne was looking like he had the beating of his marker. Tyrie then won a great tack in the middle and hit an exquisite 40 yard pass to send Lansdowne away he went past the keeper but fired agonisingly into the side netting. In fairness to the hosts whilst the two goals had a touch of fortune they had dominated the second half Gibb making a great save down low from a powerful shot an turn. Wates heading off the line brilliantly from a corner and both Kent and Smith making goal line clearances.

With the game reaching the final stages Angels had started to look the more dangerous of the teams and fancied their chances with game looking to go to extra time, Angels then conceded a foul in the last minute and the resulting free kick after a bit of a scramble was forced home to leave Angels heartbroken. It had been a great game of football, a traditional game of two halves and good luck to Kennington in the semi finals. Angels now need to play catch up in the league having only played 8 games with the cup runs.

Team - Gibb, Smith, Murphy, Balcombe, Austin, Wilkins, Tyrie, Kent T, Nwanosike, Lansdowne, Lawrence, Wates, Kent B, Raffelt, Exall

The FA SuperKicks app launched to kick-start children's play and learning

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors